BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 10:33 AM   #1
RickKlem

Model: Storm
Carrier: Verizon
Default Reloading service books question

Please Login to Remove!

I do not see any sign that MMS is loaded or active on my main screen or in any folder. I have searched this forum for details on how to install or download the app and I had no luck. I did however notice that there were several threads that mentioned deleting the "service books" and reloading them to fix alot of problems. I have a few questions about this.

1. I looked around and found the "Service Books" area on the phone, Do I delete all of them ? What is the proper procedure for doing this ?

2. If I delete and reload them will I have issues with apps that I have already downloaded. Mainly, I purchased and installed Garmin's GPS app and I love it. But I had to use a activation number from Garmin. I remember reading somewhere that the activation number was good for one load and that I would have to contact Garmin for a replacement number. I do not want to effect my GPS feature!

3. Are there any known issues with reloading the service books and then start having problems in any area because of the reload ?

4. Is there a way to make a backup first , in case this screw's up something and I wanted to restore back to old version?

Right now, my new storm is working just fine except no MMS options. I have read where people have upgraded to the new version of OS or reloaded the "service books" and then they have new issues to deal with.

Thanks
Rick

Old 12-27-2008, 11:48 AM   #2
jjd228
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon. (Exchange/BES Architect & Engineer since the very very beginning :)

What do you mean? MMS doesn't get "loaded."

Go into ANY messages folder, click the menu button, and choose "Compose MMS." If you don't even see the option then you aren't provisioned correctly. Call VZW.
Old 12-27-2008, 11:53 AM   #3
ndub33
Stuck In The '70's Mod

Model: 9810
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickKlem View Post
I do not see any sign that MMS is loaded or active on my main screen or in any folder. I have searched this forum for details on how to install or download the app and I had no luck. I did however notice that there were several threads that mentioned deleting the "service books" and reloading them to fix alot of problems. I have a few questions about this.

1. I looked around and found the "Service Books" area on the phone, Do I delete all of them ? What is the proper procedure for doing this ?

2. If I delete and reload them will I have issues with apps that I have already downloaded. Mainly, I purchased and installed Garmin's GPS app and I love it. But I had to use a activation number from Garmin. I remember reading somewhere that the activation number was good for one load and that I would have to contact Garmin for a replacement number. I do not want to effect my GPS feature!

3. Are there any known issues with reloading the service books and then start having problems in any area because of the reload ?

4. Is there a way to make a backup first , in case this screw's up something and I wanted to restore back to old version?

Right now, my new storm is working just fine except no MMS options. I have read where people have upgraded to the new version of OS or reloaded the "service books" and then they have new issues to deal with.

Thanks
Rick

Welcome to the forums!
1. Go to the "Manage Internet E-Mail icon. You should see a link titled "Service Books". Select this, and you you should see a second link titled "Send Service Books". This will re-send the Service Books to your device. You shouldn't need to delete your current Service Books.
2. Talk to your carrier about your 3rd party apps. The may have some restrctions on what you can add.
3.If you follow the steps in item 1, you should be OK.
4. Your Desktop Manager has a Backup and Restore option. Always a good idea to have a current back up stashed on your computer somewhere, but it really isn't required to resend your Service Books.

Good luck!
Old 12-27-2008, 02:01 PM   #4
RickKlem

Model: Storm
Carrier: Verizon
Default no MMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjd228 View Post
What do you mean? MMS doesn't get "loaded."

Go into ANY messages folder, click the menu button, and choose "Compose MMS." If you don't even see the option then you aren't provisioned correctly. Call VZW.
I tried and there is no "Compose MMS" in the list. When I bring up the menu I have the following options, Compose Email, compose PIN, compose SMS Text, and compose Instant Message.

I'm wondering if my IT dept removed that option for some reason. I am using BES.

What is the difference between SMS and MMS anyways? Is MMS a Verizon app or a RIM app?

Thanks
Rick
Old 12-27-2008, 02:09 PM   #5
rachamphetamine
BBF Moderator

Model: --
PIN: E SOL
Carrier: VZW

SMS is text only. MMS allows you to attach pictures, videos, sounds, etc. It is not an application (to my knowledge).
Closed Thread