Closed Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 07:55 AM   #1
I8UB4
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Suretype AI

Please Login to Remove!

I type on the Pearl without looking at the screen and then go back and correct after I have finished typing a sentence or two. Suretype started putting "U'm" instead of "I'm" in my sentences a while back and I keep forgetting to check everytime I write "I'm", so it has compounded the problem. Now it always defaults to "U'm". How do I get it to stop putting "U'm" and go back to "I'm"????
Old 02-10-2007, 08:25 AM   #2
RoadRider
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8310
Carrier: ATT

Create an autotext entry to catch it.
Old 02-10-2007, 09:54 AM   #3
Concept
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8320
Carrier: T Mobile

Type the same "I'm" phrase and scroll to I'm instead of U'm. Do it 3 times in a row and it will remember I'm and it will be your first option instead of U'm.
Old 02-10-2007, 01:49 PM   #4
rivviepop
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

PIN: n/a
Carrier: t-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concept
Type the same "I'm" phrase and scroll to I'm instead of U'm. Do it 3 times in a row and it will remember I'm and it will be your first option instead of U'm.
Oooh, hey thanks -- I didn't realize there was a sekrit 3-times trick to that. I must've missed the memo...
Old 02-11-2007, 06:33 AM   #5
I8UB4
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
I tried this and it didn't work. I typed "I'm" about 15 times and it still defaults to "U'm". The same thing happens with "I'll" and "U'll".

Also, the suggestion about the Auto Text doesn't help because you can't use symbols with auto type (no apostrophes).

Any other suggestions?
Old 02-11-2007, 06:53 AM   #6
Concept

It works, I'm telling you it does. Just type I'm and "U'm"along with "I'm" and some other possible letter combinations will show up. Before you hit the space key, scroll to "I'm" instead of the highlighted "U'm". Do the same thing 3 times consecutively and it will remember that you want I'm before you want U'm. I don't have my pearl on me (you can read about what happened in the "My trackball fell out" thread) but you can also go into the options menu and go to custom text. I think thats what its called. (Do not go into the auto text option trying to find this.) In there you will find a list of custom words that you mistakenly or purposely typed. Everytime you type a word and its not in the suretype dictionary it will be saved here. I'm pretty sure you typed U'm when you meant to type I'm and when you hit space it saved U'm in the custom words. Just find U'm and delete it. This way it doesn't show up as an option when you type I'm anymore.

Both ways will work. I've done it before. You can also just type the letters "Im". Defaulted in the auto text your BB will change Im to I'm. If you actually wanna use the letter Im, you have to type Im hit space, let auto text change it to I'm then hit delete twice (I think) and it will go back to Im and the next time you hit space it won't change to I'm.

To make it work type I'm (scroll to I'm) space, type I'm (scroll to I'm) space, type I'm (scroll to I'm). Then it will learn I'm over U'm. If you type I'm and it changes to U'm and you hit space without scrolling over to I'm the BB will think that you will most commonly use U'm over I'm and give you that option first.

Go into your custom text and delete U'll also. Or you can just type Il and auto text will change it to I'll. But the BB can learn I'll the same way I told you how it will learn I'm.

Last edited by Concept; 02-11-2007 at 06:57 AM..
Old 02-11-2007, 06:59 AM   #7
authentic8
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: TMO

GO to OPTIONS/CUSTOM WORDLIST type the letter U and it should show up, delete it and it's gone forever.
Old 02-11-2007, 07:07 AM   #8
Concept

Quote:
Originally Posted by authentic8
GO to OPTIONS/CUSTOM WORDLIST type the letter U and it should show up, delete it and it's gone forever.
Yeah thats what I meant. Custom wordlist. Like I said I didn't have my pearl on me so I was just going from memory.
Old 02-11-2007, 12:30 PM   #9
I8UB4
Thumbs Must Hurt

The Custom Wordlist solution worked perfectly. Thanks.

FYI, the other solution about typing it 3 times, didn't work for me.

This forum rocks. Maybe someday Blackberry will put together an extensive user guide with all the tricks and shortcuts and troubleshooting tips, but until that time, this forum is a lifesaver.

Thanks again for the help.
Old 02-11-2007, 08:41 PM   #10
Dinkoh
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: t-mobile

The typing 3 times didn't work for me either.
Old 02-18-2007, 10:19 AM   #11
Concept

I got my replacement pearl and typing the same word 3 times in a row, worked like a charm. I don't know why you guys had a problem with it. I'm running the .88 multi language OS.

I typed sh!t (obviously no "!" but with an "i") but it came out shut. I scrolled to sh!t, and hit space. Typed sh!t again and shut was the first word came up. Scrolled to sh!t his space. Did the same process again. On the 4th time sh!t came up as the first option. Shut is now the 3rd option behind sh!t and Sh!t.

Sorry to use explicit words but thats the example that I used to make it work.
Old 02-19-2007, 09:01 AM   #12
kathrynhr
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Dr01d
Carrier: Veri$on

Quote:
I typed sh!t (obviously no "!" but with an "i") but it came out shut. I scrolled to sh!t, and hit space. Typed sh!t again and shut was the first word came up. Scrolled to sh!t his space. Did the same process again. On the 4th time sh!t came up as the first option. Shut is now the 3rd option behind sh!t and Sh!t.
Thanks for the AM belly laugh! I needed that!
Old 02-24-2007, 01:21 AM   #13
robertmykayla7

Model: 8350
Carrier: Version

Ok im really new at bb, but ive picked it up quick, this suretype shit? ok the first week it worked fine, now its all messed up, tried the custom wordlist, now hears the ? to my wife I write i love you, it shows up as u love tou, now if i put in I LOVE YOU, in my custom wordlist, wont it show that when I type? It did not, HELP
Closed Thread