BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 09-19-2005, 03:48 PM   #1
virtualreach

Model: 7290
Post Newsclip 2.0 Beta

Please Login to Remove!

Wanted to let people know that we are doing a Beta trial on the latest version of our Newsclip software (our RSS Reader). We're going to be launching the latest version product in the fall, and we're looking for people to help us iron out the final wrinkles and to give us feedback, hopefully from as broad a range of carriers, devices and configurations as possible. Its a chance to help out, and it also gives you the chance to use it for free for a while.

Newsclip 2.0 is significantly more advanced than Newsclip 1.1, and we've used the feedback we received on these forums to help us improve the product. Some of the things the new version includes:

- Significantly optimized article delivery
- Organizing articles by feed
- Rich feed rendering (HTML & Images!)
- Automated article update

Here's the link where you can sign up for the Beta program:
http://beta1.virtualreach.com

We're running a promotion to inspire people to sign up and help us test, which is mentioned on the Beta Trial Web site. Thanks in advance!
Old 09-19-2005, 05:30 PM   #2
CanuckMakem
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8100
PIN: 205DDA2C
Carrier: Rogers

Will this work on non-BES Telus BBs?
Old 09-20-2005, 01:27 AM   #3
Mr Pink57
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8330
Carrier: Sprint

Wirelessly posted (your electric?: BlackBerry7520/4.0.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 UP.Browser/5.0.3.3 UP.Link/5.1.2.12)

Thanks!

Tried going to the link on my BB for the heck of it, and I got an "internal server error." Just an FYI.

pink
Old 09-20-2005, 08:07 AM   #4
virtualreach

The application should work with any carrier that supports TCP/IP in some way, either natively or by setting up an APN. Telus does support TCP/IP natively in their retail (BIS) BlackBerry service

CanuckMakem - Yes, this should work on a non-BES Telus BlackBerry, because Telus supports TCP/IP natively.

Pink - The site should be up. Please try again, mostly likely the DNS had not yet propogated to your carrier gateway, as we had just set up the web site.
Old 09-20-2005, 01:11 PM   #5
cohiba smoker
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Storm
Carrier: VZ

Is there a back log for testers or have you filled your need? I completed the form but haven't received anything.
Thanks
Old 09-21-2005, 12:07 PM   #6
virtualreach

We did receive a fairly heavy response to the call for Beta testers, but you should have received your invitation by now; have you received anything since you posted your last message here?
Old 09-21-2005, 12:36 PM   #7
Mr Pink57
CrackBerry Addict

I have been using it for maybe 15 to 30 minutes and seem to like it so far, although it does get laggy sometimes. It has a more fun approach and nicer look to it then the other RSS feeds I have used.

pink
Old 09-21-2005, 02:04 PM   #8
Dusty Saddle

Model: 7250
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Pink57
I have been using it for maybe 15 to 30 minutes and seem to like it so far, although it does get laggy sometimes. It has a more fun approach and nicer look to it then the other RSS feeds I have used.

pink
I've been using it this afternoon and find that it is much faster than the 1.1 version even with the photos & graphics.
Old 09-21-2005, 06:26 PM   #9
CanuckMakem

Ok... I applied...

... looking foward to it.
Old 09-21-2005, 06:51 PM   #10
cohiba smoker
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Storm
Carrier: VZ

Got my email this afternoon..nothing but good things to say so far. all pages are loading quick, but only used it for about 30 mins so far.
Old 09-22-2005, 05:38 PM   #11
matchtrader

Model: 8900

Foregive the question, but how does the population of the news lists affect my data usage? I am on Rogers' so-called unlimited plan so am somewhat cognizant of the amount of data I use. If I don't actually read any of the fees, does the population of the list chew up large amounts of data? How about if I do read the articles? TIA
Old 09-22-2005, 09:12 PM   #12
CanuckMakem

Yeah as I figured it will not work on my non-BES Telus 7250. I tried both versions and can't connect. Now I can't remove it from my BB??!?! Its not there in applications but the icon is still there?

Shame becuase I really wanted to use this too. Any ideas virtualreach??
Old 09-22-2005, 10:14 PM   #13
PCW
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Droid
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Thumbs up

Robert,
2.0 works great on my Verizon 7250. As I mentioned in my 'request feature' message sent via the device, it would be handy to be able to sort the feeds into alphabetical order, or just rearrange them as desired (move up/down).

The graphics are nice and don't get in the way of navigating around.

Loading times of the feeds are about the same as the previous version, which is sufficiently quick.

Of all the applications on my Blackberry, including the web browser and various IM applications, I seem to spend the most time on Newsclip, perusing various news feeds, discussion forum feeds, distribution list feeds (weather, emergency messaging, etc.).

It's a great product. For those of us who have already paid and registered the previous version, will this be a free upgrade, or will it be factored into our next year of service, or what?
Old 09-23-2005, 11:04 AM   #14
virtualreach

matchtrader (Post #11) - Newsclip will pull data (titles and descriptions) from all of the feeds you're subscribed to, but it only pulls new articles over the air, not things you've already downloaded. Note that it doesn't automatically download the article link, you have to manually request that.

CanuckMakem (Post #12) - We're looking into the issue you've posted here about the 7250 on the Telus network, I'll send you a private message so we don't clutter this forum.

PCW (Post #13) - The feeds should already be sorted in alphabetical order. If they're not try closing the app (Open the menu and choose the "Close") option and reloading it. As for pricing, we'll be announcing our full pricing (including upgrades) when the product launches.

Thanks for all the great feedback folks.
Old 09-23-2005, 12:33 PM   #15
virtualreach

A followup from my private conversations with CanuckMakem (Telus CDMA) - We were incorrect in earlier posting that all Telus devices would work with Newsclip, apparantly only the iDEN device (the 7520) will support TCP/IP. The CDMA Telus device (the 7250) does not support TCP/IP.

Refer to Mark Rejhon's excellent FAQ item on TCP/IP in BlackBerry for more information: http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=2185
Old 09-25-2005, 11:45 PM   #16
Mr Pink57
CrackBerry Addict

Wirelessly posted (your electric?: BlackBerry7520/4.0.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 UP.Browser/5.0.3.3 UP.Link/5.1.2.12)

I also find myself in NewsClips 2.0 most of the day, over my IM app and BB messanger. Very nice an organized and the lag has cleared up, seems the culprite was BBToday and its stock quotes slowing me down.

Is there a new comic feed coming at all? Something like www.penny-arcade.com would be nice.

pink
Closed Thread