BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 05:26 PM   #1
bacardinole

Model: 8100
Default Pearl Issues (emails and call logs getting deleted automatically)

Please Login to Remove!

Pearl was working great until 3 days ago. Suddenly like 80% of the emails in my inbox were gone (including messages from that very day). Also, at the same time, my entire call log got wiped out. Since then, emails continue to get deleted and my call log is wiped out like every couple hours.

I DIDN'T CHANGE ANY SETTINGS.

Also, starting yesterday, the phone no longer rings or vibrates when someone calls. I checked all the options within the profiles and tried several profiles that were working properly.

I have no clue what the deal is. Could it be possible that the phone got a virus or something?

I think sometime tomorrow I'm going to try to reinstall the handheld manager and start from scratch... after I back up my phone numbers and stuff.

Any help would be awesome!

Thanks.
Old 12-31-2006, 05:40 PM   #2
mckinneycm
Cisco Engineer

Model: 9700
PIN: 100001011001011000001100111011
Carrier: AT&T

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry Pearl (8100): Opera/8.01 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/3.0.6306/1558; en; U; ssr))

Check your file free space. Go to menu/options/status. If you're running low on memory, the phone will start deleting messages and call logs to make more room.

www.coreymckinney.com
Old 12-31-2006, 06:10 PM   #3
winnieb

Carrier: tmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacardinole
Pearl was working great until 3 days ago. Suddenly like 80% of the emails in my inbox were gone (including messages from that very day). Also, at the same time, my entire call log got wiped out. Since then, emails continue to get deleted and my call log is wiped out like every couple hours.

I DIDN'T CHANGE ANY SETTINGS.

Also, starting yesterday, the phone no longer rings or vibrates when someone calls. I checked all the options within the profiles and tried several profiles that were working properly.

I have no clue what the deal is. Could it be possible that the phone got a virus or something?

I think sometime tomorrow I'm going to try to reinstall the handheld manager and start from scratch... after I back up my phone numbers and stuff.

Any help would be awesome!

Thanks.

I am having the EXACT same problem-- starting about 4 days ago!!!
eta: my memory is fine-- I have more available memory than used!!
Old 01-01-2007, 12:45 AM   #4
simkin9999
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700c

I have this same problem. For me it's free memory. There's some type of memory leak. Memory goes down to 0, messages are deleted (seemingly some type of "oh shit" reaction by the BB), and the device auto-resets.

I can pull the battery daily and "reclaim" that lost memory. Course, I'm only testing this, as it typically takes 2-4 days for all the memory to disappear.

I bet it takes me 7-8 days of this for all my Pearl love to disappear, though.
Old 01-02-2007, 03:25 PM   #5
reverest

Model: Pearl

I have a user with the same problem. I uninstalled some games he had installed; still I'm not entirely comfortable with the free space on his device. Any thoughts on wiping, reloading the OS and starting from scratch?
Old 01-02-2007, 03:53 PM   #6
Mjimenez0
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
PIN: 2439fb42
Carrier: Tmobile

You should check what OS version you have I have the latest one and that problem went away. I was having the same issue but once I upgrade I have not have that problem again.
Old 01-09-2007, 10:34 PM   #7
zuck23

Default Same Issue

I have the same issue but really have only installed one game. Is there a way to reclaim memory without taking the battery out?

Also, has anyone found a theme for the Cingular Pearl that lets you split your emails and SMS?

Thanks,
Matt
Old 01-09-2007, 10:53 PM   #8
RoadRider
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8310
Carrier: ATT

There is a great thread here for freeing up an enormous amount of memory by deleting things you will never use (how many languages do you speak?). A quick search will deliver the goods! This is one of the most common topics today.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:05 PM   #9
Steveo247

Model: 9000
Carrier: att

I have the latest OS .69cingular, and I am having the call log/email problem too, most recently email. The call log issue began a few days ago for me, but my emails seemed to be fine. Today however, I noticed a majority of my emails were missing. It could have been from the sync I did, but I check all my settings and didn't see anything that would cause that to happen. Is there a way to put the emails back onto my BB from LotusNotes?

Also,
I have also had a similar issue with BB messenger. I will have a chat going with another user and I escape out to read an email. When I get a reply, it will appear in the message list, but when I select to read it, their IM doesn't appear in the conversation log. In most cases, I have to select "end conversation" in BBM and ask the person to resend their last message.

Has anyone had this issue?

Thanks
Old 01-10-2007, 01:15 PM   #10
mckinneycm
Cisco Engineer

Model: 9700
PIN: 100001011001011000001100111011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo247
I have the latest OS .69cingular
Actually, the latest OS is .71 from Cingular.

www.coreymckinney.com
Old 01-10-2007, 01:47 PM   #11
mswiech
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: Rogers

you will then definitly need to upgrade your BB OS as it looks like you do have a memory leak on your BB.
Old 01-10-2007, 02:23 PM   #12
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

do you have a bunch of saved pictures?
Old 01-10-2007, 03:09 PM   #13
Steveo247

Model: 9000
Carrier: att

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark
do you have a bunch of saved pictures?
Yes, I did. So I went and got a 1gig sdmicro and put them on it instead of the device mem. I am also in the process of installing the new OS .88 and I looked under the email help section on the pearl, and it actually states that if your device runs low on memory, it will delete messages not marked as saved! I guess I should have looked there first.

Thanks
Old 01-14-2007, 02:15 PM   #14
luthien

Model: 8830
Carrier: Sprint

Anyone know if this is a Pearl only problem? Its very irritating..
Old 05-30-2007, 02:36 AM   #15
vlestat123

Model: 8700g
PIN: 2046F9FD
Carrier: Etisalat

Well im a technical support for Blackberry in Dubai.
I have a complain from a customer says the same problem but losing only the call logs and SMS's
after checking i found that he is rubbing out of memory and the free memory is 1401760 Bytes
so its out of memory but it might be a memory leak problem with the 8100 around the world.
the latest version we got from RIM for Dubai region is 4.2.0.67
Old 05-30-2007, 02:38 AM   #16
vlestat123

Here is some information that might be of use to some of us experiencing memory leak problems:

RIM has identified a design problem with the way that controls within the media application have been implemented. In the media options ("Media Application" > Pick an application such as Pictures > [BlackBerry Menu Key] > "Options") there are two settings:

xxx8220;Reserved Pictures Memoryxxx8221; xxx8211; Default Value = 10 MB xxx8211; This setting reserves memory for Pictures that the customer may take. It blocks off the memory, reducing the xxx8220;File Freexxx8221; amount that displays in xxx8220;Optionsxxx8221; > xxx8220;Statusxxx8221;. This guarantees that the customer will have memory available and will not overwrite email messages within the memory setting set.

xxx8220;Device Memory Limitxxx8221; xxx8211; Default Value = 20 MB xxx8211; This setting is a safety water mark. It prevents the customer from placing more than the specified amount of memory in their content store (pictures, ringtones, music, etc.. in device memory)

The implementation problem with these settings is that the xxx8220;Reserved Pictures Memoryxxx8221; setting does not prevent the customer from going beyond the specified amount of memory. That is to say, if the customer has it set to the default value of 10MB, they are not prevented from taking 15MB of pictures for example. The only setting that will limit them is the xxx8220;Device Memory Limitxxx8221; setting.

The 20MB default value for this setting is a bit high as typically after loading the handheld software, the memory available is about 20MB. If the customer has a number of contacts, calendar entries, tasks, memopad items, emails, etcxxx8230; they could have less than 20MB available. This means, with the default settings, the customer could fill their content store to the point that Low Memory Manager activates in an attempt to free up new space by deleting emails and call logs. If approached by a customer in this situation, please recommend that they reduce the xxx8220;Device Memory Limitxxx8221; setting to itxxx8217;s lowest value of 12MB. It is recognized that even this value is high, and the values (including the defaults) are being adjusted in future releases of handheld software.

================================================== ========

Having a large amount of images, ringtones and or games stored in the device may reduce available free memory. If the BlackBerry Pearl's memory is at or near capacity the handheld will begin to delete the oldest Call Log and Text Message (SMS) entries in an effort to free up memory space. In order to prevent this, free memory must be increased.
NOTE: Saved messages will not be deleted.

Determine the Amount of Free Memory on the BlackBerry
· If the amount of free memory available on the handheld is 0, the amount of free memory must be increased to prevent the handheld from auto deleting call log entries and messages.

Suggested Ways to Increase Free Memory
Reduce Allocated Media Memory
1. Scroll to and select the Media icon.
2. Select the Pictures icon.
3. Select the Device Memory icon.
4. Press the Menu key, select Options.
5. Change the Device Memory Limit to 12MB.
6. Press the Menu key, select Save.
7. Hard Reset the BlackBerry.

Reduce Calendar Keep Appointments to 60 days or less
1. Scroll to and select the Calendar icon.
2. Press the Menu key, select Options.
3. Scroll to and select Keep Appointments.
4. Select the desired amount of time to keep appointments.
5. Press the Menu key, select Save.
6. Hard Reset the BlackBerry.

Reduce the amount of time Messages are kept on the handheld.
1. Scroll to and select the Calendar icon.
2. Press the Menu key, select Options.
3. Select General Options.
4. Scroll to and select Keep Messages.
5. Select the desired amount of time to keep appointments.
6. Press the Menu key, select Save.

Clear Cache and Cookies
1. Scroll to and select the Browser or Media Net icon.
2. Press the Menu key.
3. Select Options.
4. Select Cache Operations.
5. Select Clear History.
6. Note: Clear History will no longer appear once it has been selected.

Delete Unused Languages
Note: If deleting both the unused languages and the sample video wait to restart the device until both processes have been completed
1. Scroll to and select the Settings icon.
2. Select the Options icon.
3. Select Advanced Options.
4. Select Applications.
5. Scroll to and highlight each of the unused languages under the Input Support and Language and Input Support subheadings.
6. Press the Menu key.
7. Select Delete.
8. Select Delete.
9. When prompted to Restart select No until all unused languages are deleted.
10. NOTE:Repeat steps 4-8 until all unused languages are deleted then select Yes when prompted to restart.
11. Hard Reset the BlackBerry.

Delete Sample Video
Note: If deleting both the unused languages and the sample video wait to restart the device until both processes have been completed. The sample video is the pre-installed video for the blackberry and is ~2.2MB in size.
1. Scroll to and select the Settings icon.
2. Select the Options icon.
3. Select Advanced Options.
4. Select Applications.
5. Scroll to and highlight "Blackberry Sample Video".
6. Press the Menu key.
7. Select Delete.
8. Select Delete.
9. When prompted to Restart select Yes.
10. Hard Reset the BlackBerry.

Change Call Log Options
1. Scroll to and select the Phone icon.
2. Press the Menu key.
3. Select Options.
4. Select Call Logging.
5. Select either Missed Calls or None.
6. Hard Reset the BlackBerry.
Old 05-30-2007, 04:52 AM   #17
walds11
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 3GS
Carrier: at&t

So you have to Hard Reset after each one of these?

[QUOTE=vlestat123;549936]Here is some information that might be of use to some of us experiencing memory leak problems:
Old 05-30-2007, 05:31 AM   #18
vlestat123

yes you can do that but also you can just do everything then just hardreset once at the end.

i sent these steps to my customer by email he said that he would do it and reply me back.
so i would update you as soon as i get his email.
Old 06-02-2007, 06:19 PM   #19
its_me

PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile

I had the same problem. The main problem is there is enough memory in the BB, however there is surely a leak due to which memory becomes full and then I have to do a hard reset, which frees up the memory.

I have not done an OS upgrade since I got the blackberry which was like two months back.
I dont know what My current OS is . But in the options->About section I see

v4.2.0.64(Platform 2.2.0.37)
Cryptographic Kernel v3.8.4.28

Should I and how can I get the new OS?

Thanks
Old 06-03-2007, 07:49 AM   #20
vlestat123

Well as i mentioned before that i sent some steps to one of my customers who had this problme.
i called him today he said that he have now 24MB approximatly of free memory after he done everything i asked him.
now his Pearl is back to normal.
at the end i would advise everyone that please move your pictures, videos or any files you got to the memory card so you wont lose any data.
Closed Thread